Mother’s Day is just around the corner and for those new “Moms in waiting” decorating the nursery can be one of the most exciting tasks.
painting from creativethursday on etsy.com
Like most rooms in your home, a nursery needs to be first and foremost, functional. There are several must-have items you will need:
- For obvious reasons, a crib is a necessity. Today’s designs range from soft and romantic canopy cribs to sleek and modern metal cribs. Many models also feature beds that can “grow” with your baby into a toddler bed, a twin bed and, ultimately, a headboard for a double bed.
- A changing table and/or dresser for storage and to make those necessary diaper changes easier on the back and safer for the baby.
- A rocking chair or glider will provide a comfortable and cozy spot for late night feedings and story time when the child gets older.
Once the functional items are in place, the fun begins and it is time to add some personality:
- Artwork will add color to the room and provide creative stimulation for your baby. Consider a mural, a grouping of colorful paintings, fabric covered letters or three dimensional pieces like your framed christening gown, for example, or Dad’s childhood baseball glove in an acrylic shadowbox.
- Something soft under your feet makes those chilly three a.m. feedings so much more comfortable. Place a plush shag or flokati rug on top of bare floors or carpeting or, for an unexpected touch, how about a colorful persian rug for an exotic look.
- Bedding for the crib can be purchased ready made or you can make your own. There are wonderful toiles, circus prints, florals and stripes available in kid-friendly prints that allow you to truly customize your baby’s nursery. Bedding items include a comforter or quilt, bumper pads, a bed skirt and/or pillows. Before placing any items in the crib please follow the safety guidelines recommended by the consumer product safety commission to insure the health and safety of your baby.
A beautiful and functional nursery that reflects your personality is a wonderful way to welcome your new baby into your home.